'you always wanted more in life,
but now you don't have the appetite'
OUT MAY 14th 2021 ON STREET PULSE RECORDS
Album title: you always wanted more in life, but now you don't have the appetite
Produced and mixed by Ådne Meisfjord (CVK, 120 Days)
Artwork by Constance Tenvik
Label: Street Pulse Records
Release date: May 14 2021
Format: LP + digital
Distributor: Diger Distro / The Orchard
1. the extinction's voluptuous odor
2. party with my homies
4. life without the human look
5. Alfred Korzybski
6. you always wanted more in life, but now you don't have the appetite
7. we find them picking flowers that grow in the fields of extreme limit
Berlin based artist Canilla is a newly sculpted project by Norwegian sound artist and instrument builder Camilla Vatne Barratt-Due. Frequently composing for dance and theatre productions she develops sonic fields that often includes electronics and live coded synthesis merged with materials from her extensive accordion collection. Canilla's performative installations have been presented in museums and theatres as well as sound-art, dance and music festivals in Germany, Denmark, Spain, Sweden, UK and Norway. She was recently chosen for SHAPE 21 – a European platform for innovative music and audio visual art.
The songs on you always wanted more in life, but now you don't have the appetite are thought of as conceptual love ballads stemming from trees of a wounded forest – originally coming out of an installation Canilla made for Kontakte Festival at Akademie der Künste in 2019. Behind the stories pumps a mechanical heart, a structure based on creations of dismantled accordions. Canilla works between installation and performance art, turning traditional analog materials such as old tools and accordions into altered mechanical systems played with code. This layering of practices gives electronic music a new physical body tracing the remnants of the past, giving the mechanical objects an afterlife.
Canilla is inspired by sound artists such as Pauline Oliveros, Delia Derbyshire, Else Marie Pade and Laurie Anderson. She has collaborated with a wide range of artists stemming from live coding, contemporary music, theatre and dance productions, such as Jo Grys, Peter Cusack, Alexandra Cardenas and Ingri Fiksdal. Her work has been presented at venues such as Akademi Der Künste (Berlin) Black Box Theatre (Oslo), London Royal Operahouse, HAU (Berlin) Radial System, Bergen International Festival and Stamsund International Theatre Festival (Norway).
you always wanted more in life, but now you don't have the appetite:
– Love ballad melancholia and power play accompanied by a synthetic sounding accordion (OUT NOW)
the extinction's voluptuous odor:
– A dark ambient track of techno diversity. The samples are taken from an instrument constructed out of old dismantled accordions played with an altered mechanical system (Released April 21st 2021)
life without the human look:
– A drugging sound that invites you in to the room of a memorial tribute to forests threatened with extinction (Released May 5th 2021)
+44 787 0298 988
Street Pulse label manager:
+49 176 6441 6461